Originally Posted by Mannlicher
all of which gives credence to my thoughts that the 'dumbing down' of the armed forces is part of a calculated move to reduce our ability to fight a war, and to defend America.

Well a decade of lowered standards for recruitment haven't helped matters. But that's changing already.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
The two things that are most damaging, are the change from the armed forces being a 'fighting force', to being a vehicle for social change, and the reduction of finances to the point where manpower, equipment, readiness and standards can't be maintained.

I'm haven't given it enough thought to rate which things are hurting the military the most. But we are in agreement that the military needs enough money to maintain standards. Getting out of Afghanistan will help immensely. But budgets are going to get tight, just like they always do, and that's nothing new.

We talk about waste, yet I see dozens of MRAP's sitting on Afghan flatbeds just a few miles from the Kyber Pass and the Pakistan border, for weeks on end. Then one of the bad guys finally smartens up, and torches a bunch of them in situ. What the hell is the Army doing to protect it's assets? There's a freakin' FOB 500 yards away, yet they sit outside unprotected.

But in the meantime, some Army General is complaining about not having enough money. I get it, they need money, but I also see the sheer craziness.

Brian