raybass;
I trust that other than feeling whatever it was that possessed you to start something as dangerous as a .270 thread here on the 'Fire, you are doing acceptably well sir. grin

When I first moved here to BC we were a die hard .30 caliber family - hence the handle and all - but somehow I fell in with a couple of JOC apostles.

Many was the night at either one of their places for coffee they would deride my choice of cartridge and bore size....

In the fullness of time I ended up with a wartime 98 action from one of Jack's disciples and then after I did some pruning on his fruit trees one winter day he insisted I take a Parker Hale Featherweight barrel he'd traded for.

The next day I brought what would become a money pit 98 action over to his garage - barrel vice equipped garage at that - and I went home the "proud" owner of a .270.

Although one evening in a fit of disgruntled muttering I'd promised I'd never shoot a deer with a .270 as long as either one was alive, I relented and shot a whitetail spike high up the mountain behind our house.

I'm kinda glad I did, as my buddy didn't make it until the next season and by then I'd begun the descent into madness trying to make a 98 that weighed 7lbs ready to go hunting.

Here it is with the latest coat of Krylon on it - doing what it does without fuss or bother.
[Linked Image]

The details for the build oriented among us are:
- Mauser made and marked wartime 98 action
- Parker Hale Featherweight contour 22" barrel
- Timney trigger
- Timney Buehler style saftety
- FN Commercial extractor
- Wildcat Composites 20oz stock
- Corlane Sports lightweight recoil pad
- Brownell's 98 3.7oz bottom metal
- Weaver bases and Bushnell split rings
- Leupold Compact 6X
- Wolff Blitzschnell mainspring
- Booney Packer Safari sling

I did make 7lbs but please don't ask me to add up the parts or my time. laugh
[Linked Image]

Anyway that's one rifle loony's .270 story raybass, hopefully it gives you or someone else out there tonight a wee bit of a grin.

All the best to you and good luck on your upcoming hunts.

Regards,
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"