A friend and I are just starting to get our Elk hunting trip planned. We both have small children (I have one with severe medical complications) so this could very well be a once in a lifetime bull hunt. Therefore, we want to give ourselves the best possible chance for success.

To help with that success (I hope), we're looking at fully guided hunts. At the moment we're thinking either Idaho or Wyoming but are open to suggestions. Any recommendations?

What time of year is generally best? We will be rifle hunting so, from what I've read so far, we have a few weeks to choose from. Are we better off going earlier in the season or later? Does it really matter?

What about the rifle/load itself? We'd like to stick to a factory load just to keep it simple. We're open to pretty much any caliber at this moment. Rifles that we own however include; .270WSM, .300WSM, & .338Win Mag. It would be nice to stick with something that we already own. Thoughts?

Optics? Ideal zoom/fixed scope? I was thinking a 2-12x50 Swarovski Z6 would ideal but, I hunt deer in the Midwest, what do I know?

Thanks in advance for any pointers. At the moment we're considering a hunt in either 2015 or 2016 so it would be nice to get our ducks in a row sooner rather than later.