Originally Posted by Plab
if your 99 is a one that has a dovetail front sight then go ahead and move it if you need to .some of the 99's have fixed front sights. for these model's lyman built a windage adjustable model tang sight I believe is a model 2 1/2 ?? I've used them before and they work ok but have a pretty good price tag.
I have a williams tang model on my hunting rifle and I really like
it. it has lots of adjustment they're cheap too. you can also use a lyman# 57 like the 99RS came with. redfield made a sight like the lyman 57 but I forget the model

plab

The windage adjustable tang sights were Lyman 29 1/2s or 30 1/2s.

The RS never came with a Lyman 57... this was why I recommended that people try not to learn too much from the recent post. RSs only were ever sold with Lyman 30 1/2s and later Redfield 70LHs.

Originally Posted by AussieLad
Yes, the front sight is dovetailed. Forgot to mention that. The blade is brass, and is actually pretty drab at the moment. It does make getting a sight picture a bit difficult against a darker background. Any recommendations? ie, polish it, or put a dab of paint on it? I'll try to get some pics posted up later on.

Is the front sight drab brass or "German Silver" ? Either paint or polish will help... paint probably better than polish but does not really look "right" on an old 1899. I've seen many use their wife's red finger nail polish!

Andrew