Ruger #1 .45-70 that I have is not too bad recoil wise with 405gr loads that are a little on the "warm" side. My Ruger #3 .45-70 hurts......ALOT with the same loads. Both rifles are equipped with low range variable scopes, the #1 with Redfield Widefield 1.5 to 4.5, the #3 with Bushnell Scopechief with the same range. Also have a receiver/peep sight that mounts to the Ruger base on the #1. These attach to the rear base in the same fashion as the rear scope ring. Works well on the #1 and is available from New England Custom Gun (www.newenglandcustomgun.com) at the "not-so-cheap" price of $85.00.

Neither the #1 or #3 shoot to the standards of a good varmint rifle but quite well enough to serve as a "woods" rifle out to 150 to 200 yards and will certainly kill game at those ranges.

I also have a Contender 16.125" barrel in .45-70. If you want an example of a rifle that will hurt you big time then try that combination on the T-C Contender with "warm" loads.

The book FORTY YEARS WITH THE .45-70 makes for an interesting read on that cartridge and recounts the experiences by the author of the Ruger #1 and #3 rifles including load data and bullet experiments.

I have found that the Ruger #1 in .45-70 along with the Marlin 1895G in that caliber fun to shoot and great for NE woods hunting.

Here on the East Coast the #1 can usually be found for $500 to $600. Eight hundred bucks is a little over the top but again, you are in "Kalifornia".

An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.