I own a 30-06 with a serial # in the low 30's.

Never thought I would own another std. 30-06, other than maybe a nice transition era specimen which definitely are my "favorite"!

I've mentioned this story before, but I'll tell it again as it still gives me goosebumps to think about it... I wandered in to a local pawnshop that usually had ~20-30 guns stuffed into an old safe that is made to hold about half of that. Word had it that a group of the local LEO's had first shot at any of the good stuff that had come in, so I'd never expected to find much of any interest. This particular day, I noticed what looked like a Model 70 barrel down in the safe! Further inspection showed that it was in good shape, appeared original with an intact stock, was a pre-war gun, with intact sights and no extra holes in the bridge! I was a little disappointed when I noticed it was an '06... was hoping for an odd ball chambering of some sort. Then I remember turning it over and looking at the serial #. I think I stared at it for a minute or so not believing what I saw.

Then the Model 70 "adrenaline surge" kicked in! I looked at the price (under $700), put a "death clamp" on the gun and skulked to the cash register. I've never filled out paperwork so fast in my whole life.

It sits in my safe for the most part. I pull it out about once a month, look at it, check the serial # just to make sure it wasn't a dream, and shoulder it a time or two. Nothing else quite like it in my little collection. 1936 was a good year for Model 70's and Dad's (my father will be 77 tomorrow on Christmas Day!).