Originally Posted by KFWA
I guess those eco boost engines have been around for awhile but I'd like to know what the maintenance cost of 'em is when they hit 120K miles of daily driving and towing.

+1. Turbos are hard as hell on engines, especially if maintenance isn't attended-to. I'm also curious about their cooling system: is the fan full-time, or electronically activated? I had a Sunbird Turbo years ago that went through 4 crappy thermostats. The fan wasn't being told to kick-on, and I quickly blew a head gasket. One week after it was repaired, the oil pressure tanked because the pickup screen was clogged with sludge - sludge from a chronically overheated engine. 32,000 total miles on the clock, with dealer oil changes every 3K. mad

It's also been my experience that engines love to run. If you put 30,000 miles a year on a vehicle, it's easy to get to 150K or 200K with relatively few problems. When you're putting on 10k miles a year, there definitely seems to be more repairs.

There's no doubt they put the test engine in the video, through some pretty tough stuff. But, they did it in pretty short order. Simulating several years worth of wear, is different that getting the wear over several years.

Originally Posted by specialK
Start/stop technology. [bleep] that.

I'm skeptical about it, in this application, too. Will it shut down even if the turbo was spooled-up for the previous 20 minutes?

It looks like they put a lot of thought into this engine. I'd likely not be an early adopter, though. It will be interesting to see what the consensus is in 5 or 6 years.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC