Originally Posted by cwa1104sab
I have a few questions for people who have done drop camps for elk could answer for me...I've been really thinking about doing one in 2015. I've been hunting for 30 years, consider myself a pretty dam good outdoorsman, been on trips out west for antelope and deer. Been to Canada for bear, gators and hogs down south etc I'm a lineman by trade-and I'm in good shape. My questions have to do with is this doable ? I realize this is a wide question and no one knows the answer but what are the "pitfalls" I should be concerned with ? I'm a good shot, and have camped my whole life. At the risk of sounding dumb...what could go wrong that would deter me from finally taking the leap ? If I find a reputable outfitter who would put me in good country with elk, have a camp there and it was up to me to go find an elk and get one I can't really picture anything "bad" about it except maybe no game so it would be a week long camping trip. Am I missing something ? Please let me hear all your thought, comments, criticisms etc. Any and all feedback, including if you know an outfitter will be greatly appreciated. I don't care what state either. Thanks

Sab

One of the biggest problems most folks have with drop camp is staying at it each and everyday. I have discussed on another thread why outfitters do drop camps. Guided hunts are expensive, and the profit margin for drop camp hunts is similar to guided hunts, so drop camp clients are just as important as guided clients. A drop camp client is a reference that can post reviews online etc just like a guided client, and in this day and age of internet, an outfitter is wise to take good care on drop campers. Base camp is determined primarily by logistics, such as corral room, available trees to cut for firewood in woodstoves, suitable water, space for several tents, hitchrail room for horses and mules etc. Both basecamp and drop camp must contain elk, and usually do. Drop camp must be far enough away from basecamp as to not interfere with one another, but not so far that it cannot be serviced from basecamp.

The advantages of drop camp include solitude and leisure. Hunters hunt on their own, at a pace that suits them. In our area a hunter will almost for sure not see another soul for a week other then us checking in on camp, and since we do that during the day, you may not see us at all. Drop camp isn't as disturbed as the basecamp area by guides and noise and hunters and smells. It is definitely more quiet and affords the hunter a more DIY experience. Drop camp has some downsides also, and that is there is no guide to motivate you to get up and get on them. There is no guide to share the experience of the area either other than your pre hunt orientation, after that, it is up to you to learn the area. The biggest downside is the camp chores. You still have to cook, and do dishes, get your own fire going etc.

Having some elk hunting experience under your belt is a definite plus, you can have good success in rifle, but in archery without a guide or experience, you would struggled I think. Many guys who feel a drop camp didn't hold elk, are really feeling the sting of perhaps not enough experience, not enough familiarity with the area, or the grind of chores wore them down a little. Another thing is that in the remote back country, a fella not familiar with an area can find himself staying a little to close to camp the first few days, a little hesitant to get out and about. Usually after a couple days they become more confident and kick it in.

You also need to have a partner for drop camp. I would never book a client in a drop camp as a solo hunt, and I would raise an eyebrow to an outfit that did. Hunter safety is top priority in the back country and one hunter alone by himself for a week is not a safe situation in my view. Two way radios and texting with basecamp are an absolute must.

You will have to quarter your elk and do everything in your power to prevent spoilage, and it can happen fast on an elk. As soon as you recover a shot animal basecamp should be informed. Be prepared to quarter, skin the fronts, and cape etc and make sure you bring the necessary items to complete those tasks. You may have to pack the quarter to water and set on logs over creek to keep cool. If other bulls are down, it may be awhile before the packer can get to your animal, so be prepared and make sure the outfit has pack frames in camp. If you wound an animal inform basecamp and a guide will assist in recovery. A guides knowledge becomes imperative at that point.

Most drop camps are not supplied with food, so be ready for that and all it entails. Food does no good without washing facilty/camp stove/ pots pans etc. You don't need the chore or noise of cutting firewood, so make sure the outfit supplies that as well. Finally, drop camps are down right awesome! The privacy, solitude, and peaceful environment is delightful. Fantastic way to hunt an area and a reasonable price. Yes, you can do if you keep a positive mental attitude and enjoy the experience and not focus on just killing an elk. Go have fun, enjoy, and learn. Never know, might drop a big bull first morning out. Hope this helps, Alan.