Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by AlaskaCub
A couple weeks ago I compared a VX6, a Swarovski Z3 and a zeiss HD5 all side by side and IMHO the VX6 excelled in just about every optical characteristic. Only real difference was the robust size of the 30mm VX6. I am just not certain about it size on a lightweight rifle even though it's not all that heavy. But she is chunky! The one thing that really impressed be was the reticle on the VX6 , much better than the ones on VX3's. But in the end I bought a VX3 3.5-10x40 at less than half the price of the VX6.

Good analysis. The Z3 duplex is sorta fine, but useable. The VX-6 duplex is one of the best, as is its eye box.

Like you, I prefer 1" scopes. The 30mm is bulkier, but the VX-6 is pretty sleek for a big scope.

As you can tell, I'm a VX-6 fan. I have several Zeiss Conquests, a Zeiss Victory, a Z3, a Z5, several VX-3's, a Kahles and others. So, my VX-6 opinion isn't without comparisons.

DF

I haven't been able to put a Z3 next to a VX6 in bad light yet, but owning 2 Z3's, I'll agree that Swaro's duplex is too fine, and Leupold's is better.

Still, the best hunting reticle for my tastes is the Meopta #4. That one just stands out (no pun intended) to me as the leader of the pack as a low-light visible reticle. Leupold's #4 isn't bad, but I think Meopta's is better.