I'm very biased toward labs, having owned them most of my life, but I've also had Springers and a Chessie. Every person here is going to advise you with regard to the breeds that they are partial to, just the way it is.

When it comes to selecting a breed, it's important to realize that there is no such thing as a perfect breed. You want a small dog that will be easy to train and that will be good with your daughter. To get these attributes you may need to make concessions in other areas that you haven't listed.

The only truly small breeds will be spaniels, at least as far as dogs that are readily available. In my experience, spaniels are VERY affectionate, but can be more difficult to train than some other common breeds. Even those that are very biddable are wound a lot tighter than, for instance, a good lab. They will also shed nearly as bad as any lab.

As with any breed, you will need to carefully select from a breeder that has very good hunting lines. Preferably both parents and the bulk of the dogs in the background will hold hunt test or field trial titles. Check out both parents, if at all possible, and decide if their temperament is what you're looking for. You will have this dog for many years, don't rush into it, don't let price determine your choice, and don't make a poorly informed choice. Getting the right dog will provide many great memories for you and your family, getting the wrong one will mean that you have a worthless dog food recycler that you get to live with for the next decade plus.