Originally Posted by AB2506
Considering the high cost of taxidermy (for a good one) in Alberta, I'm strongly thinking that I won't have any mounts done from my trip. I will have skull mounts done, likely in the RSA (about $200 a head mounted on dark coloured wood). Maybe some skins.

I was thinking of just mounting the kudu and gemsbok (if I am so fortunate to get them), but those two mounts would be $3600. Those two alone would be almost as much as I will spend on trophy fees (hopefully). I just can't justify the cost at this time. I think I would rather go a second time and take my daughters, than have some mounts that most of the relatives are creeped out by. For some reason the skull mounts are OK, but the eyes of a shoulder mount upset people, make them nervous. I know, but I can't choose relatives. smile

But it comes down to the cost. IMO, good taxidermy is priced far out of the realm of the common man. For NA game, I'll probably never mount another head. A skull mount is only a $200-250. Beats $1200 for a deer shoulder mount.

Am I bad for considering not getting any shoulder mounts done? Just skull mounts and maybe a couple of skins?

I kind of like stuff on my wall to remind me of the safaris but it's personal preference.

The first time I went, it took 3 YEARS for my U.S.A. taxidermist to complete the work. The next time, I had Life Form Taxidermy do the work. All the trophies were in my driveway in a big box about a year after Life Form got them. I had more trophies done for less money and they looked as good or better than what I'd had done by the "award winning" U.S.A. taxidermist. The prices to have my mounts done is South Africa were a lot less than what you've mentioned.

I don't think I would have any taxidermy work done on this side of the big pond after my experiences but you do have to select your African taxidermist well. The quality of work some do is a bit poor.