Originally Posted by jthurr270
I ended up with a Eberlestock J104 from a guy on hunt-wa forum. It looks about right with the expandable mid section and the ability to add more space w/ additional duffels from Eberlestock's site. I traded another pack for it - so in a sense I still have money to spend on other gear. I'm going to pack this one up w/ 50 or so lbs and make sure its still comfortable before committing to this pack.

Thanks for all the advice! Now to plan all the gear that goes into it.. smile

I have a j34, same thing I think. I love that pack. I use it more than any other pack I have. I love the rifle scabbard when climbing steep terrain. I think it is a comfortable, not too big, day pack. I love how it expands to carry out success. I have had mine for 5 years and have used it hard. It seems to be very durable.

That being said, I will never, ever take that pack on a high Buck hunt again. It is uncomfortable, even painful, pack for me when carrying 60+ lbs. I don't mind the pain after a successful hunt. I don't want to start my trip exhausted, sore,and hurt.

Second and third try at a pack for backpack hunting was an ilbe. First one was too beat up to use. $50 bucks wasted. Second was functionally sound. Better, but I lose shoulder lift over 50lbs.

Fourth try was REI xt85 purchased last summer on sale for less than $200. What a huge difference in comfort. The pack fits me well. Even heavily loaded, I still have plenty of room to crank on the load lifter straps. Way more organization than the ilbe. I think it makes a great pack for backpack hunting or winter camping.

Good news is I found a pack I can live with. Bad news is that it took me 4 tries at over $600 total. Sure wish I had started with a kifaru or other top tier company for that kind of money.