Nice job bruinruin!

I was going to start melting down some wheel weights yesterday, but the wind was blowing, and wasn't going to waste the propane in my fryer trying to keep the flame strong outside. So I resorted to sorting the last haul of about 300 lbs. I got in (see above). Got through 8 jugs of the above, and only ended up with about 10 lbs (half of a Folger plastic coffee can) of junk wheel weights, and miscellaneous: valve caps, valve-stems, bolts, nuts.

On the sorting the weights, a couple that are easy to spot are Steel & Iron. The steel ones are a different design and stand out, and the Iron wants usually have a clear stamped "FE" on the front. Lastly, zinc the bane of any caster--if not clearly marked they resemble coated lead wheel weights. I use a pair of pliers to test, if they bite in then it is lead, if they just scratch they are zinc. If you drop on concrete they make a ringing noise opposed to the thud of lead. First thing I check when sorting is the pinch marks at the bottom of the weight where the removal took was used to remove from the rim--this saves some sorting time if the lead is already indented.
Scarring Samples on Lead Weights
Steel Wheel Weights
Iron Wheel Weights
Zinc Wheel Weights

Last edited by novalty; 02/24/14.