Here are some thoughts from a .260 Rem fan. I've been using it exclusively on deer for the last several years and have been very happy with it. I started with the 120 gr. Nosler BT at close to 3000 fps. Killed a couple, one near (100 yds), one far (over 400). Got an exit on both, very dead deer, more meat damage than I really wanted. Next year I tried the 130 AB, killed a couple, again, more meat damage than I wanted, exits on both. Next year I tried 140 gr. Partition. Made two less than ideal shot angle, one head on, one cleaning up my brother-in-law's botched shot. Both around 200 yds. Head penetrated through and through, the other was severe quartering away - in one ham, recovered bullet in the neck, running deer piled up instantly. I had one more bullet I wanted to try, the 129 gr. Hornady Interlock SP. Here is the Goldilocks favorite. Velocity at 2850, accuracy consistently around 1/2 MOA in two different guns - Ruger M77 and TC Encore pistol (17" MGM barrel) with the exact same powder charge - 44 gr. IMR 4350. I've used it the last two years and have killed five deer ranging from 125 yds to 453 yds. All one shot kills. I've "caught" two of them, but both shots were over 300 yds out. Otherwise full penetration and a blood trail that a blind quadripalegic could have followed. BC isn't the highest out there, but the terminal performance is stellar. My dad watched four of the deer get shot and just shakes his head in amazement when he watched the on-game performance and then upon skinning, we discover that the meat damage is very, very minimal. He's a .30-06 guy, thinks it is a minimum for deer, unless you're using a .308 or .243 for kids or women. He poo-pooed my .260 Rem choice at first - it was driven by shoulder pain that I ended up having surgery on - but I liked the performance and lack of recoil so much that I've stuck with it. Give up the 3000 fps goal (or get a different 6.5mm chambering) and try the 129 gr. Interlock. It has been stellar for me, though I'll be using the 120 gr. Nosler BT next fall out of my pistol to see if it does better at the lower velocity (2650 fps instead of 2950).

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile