The regional difference is interesting. As I was reading, I wondered why they were concerned about salt. Here in Pa. the big problem is phosphorous buildup and runoff. Then I realized you don't get near the rainfall we do so saline soils and the high pH levels are a problem we don't have.

There is a lot of research going into handling manure. We've got some digesters in the state that make electricity, then have a smaller amount of solids to deal with. Composting is another option as is drying/recycling the solids for bedding. Although that still leaves the liquid with the salts to deal with. It's too bad it isn't as easy/cheap to ship manure as it is to ship grain. That's the real problem, nutrients come from the grain farms and it's not feasible to ship them back to the grain farm in the form of manure.

There are serious fines and penalties for discharges to streams, just heard about a guy that was bringing in a dozer to scrape diversions in his frozen, snow covered fields because the manure he spread on snow covered ground was running down towards the stream.

Dale

This space for rent