Well guys to day I rolled out of the sack with every intention to go out and soak a couple crab pots and do a little salmon fishing.
<br>Ever since the demise of the garbage skow I have been limited to using one of my tin boats for such adventures. This AM I was looking simply to tossing the 12 footer into the bed of my pick up and going down to the ramp, launching and rowing out to the rivers mouth. The city nimrods had the launch plugged up and it looked like it was going to be a long wait and too far to drag the tin Maru to the water. Home we went...no crab so instead it's time to make jerky.
<br>
<br>I have several roasts in the freezer, mostly bovine, but a couple venison. So out came a lean beef roast and into the micro wave to thaw it goes. I like my slabs of meat slightly frozen when I slice them that way they slice thin and uniformly. I need a meat slicer. Meanwhile, in my coffee grinder, I grind up a bunch of red hot peppers and kosher salt. I use Kosher salt because I have a box of it. Then a bunch of garlic granuals. I get about a big cup full of dry mix I then add 2x the amount of sugar and mix it all up. spred a little layed of mix on bottom of pan and layer the beef strips and mix until all meat is coated. cover with plastic wrap and let stand till morning in the fridge. Now the fun begins, I string each piece on a skewer , usually 15-20 strips to a skewer and hang them in the smoker. takes about 12 hours to smoke. I use ALDER the only wood to use if you live in the Pacific NW.. This is pretty hot stuff, tastes kind of sweet to start then the fire kicks in the more you chew the hotter it gets and stays with you for a while after the meat has long been in your gullett.
<br>
<br>How do you guys make your jerky?
<br>
<br>
<br>Bullwnkl.

Money talks Bull [bleep] walks
Business as usual