Last fall I rediscovered the fun of squirrel hunting. It came as the result of sitting in a tree bowhunting and seeing multitudes of squirrels running around beneath me and in the trees nearby and wishing I had a .22 instead of a bow. I had never seen as many squirrels as I had in this particular patch of woods, which was filled with oaks, walnut trees, and hickory trees. So, one day in early November I decided to give up a morning of hunting the rut and bring my .22, which is something I never thought I'd do.

That morning I saw numerous squirrels right after first light, but when I'd try to get close and tree them, they wouldn't cooperate and would run as far and fast through the woods as they could. Feeling somewhat frustrated, I sat down and after awhile saw a couple squirrels playing grab ass in a good sized oak about 75 yards away up the hill. I was able to walk up the hill and get within about 10 yards of the tree, standing behind a small tree to stay concealed and give myself a rest. There were more than a couple squirrels - it seemed this oak was filled with squirrels chasing one another. I'd wait for one to stop and give me a clean head shot, shoot, drop it, and then wait for them to start chasing again and shoot when one would stop. One was smart enough to run down the tree and haul ass down the hill, but he was the only one.

Anyway, the last two were chasing around, and one was partially down in a hole and the other was just outside, messing with it. I shot the one on the trunk, he dropped and then the one in the hole came out to see where his buddy was. Mistake on his part and I limited out! Don't think I'll ever repeat that in my life, but I will surely remember it! I'll bet I haven't seriously squirrel hunted in about 34 years, having bow hunted in the fall since my teen years, and bird hunted when the season was over. It sure brought back a lot of memories.

[Linked Image]