This is a thread specifically for those who have experience hunting or staying at Three Forks Ranch north of Steamboat Springs, CO. My hunting buddy and I drew cow elk tags for the ranch this year, and I have a lot of questions.

1. We will be dragging my trailer out and camping in the national forest. How far is it to the ranch from good camping spots?

2. The web site says a guide is required and will be provided free to Ranching for Wildlife lottery winners like my buddy and I. I assume one guide for the two of us or should we expect to have other hunters in the party?

3. The web site says Ranching for Wildlife hunters can use any legal weapon. The success rate on the ranch is high enough (96% for cows) and the season is long enough that I may very well want to start with a handgun, then try a .44 Mag carbine Dad gave me many years ago. Either one, of course, would mean getting in pretty close. Since they are paying the guide and using these guns might mean additional hunting days are required, are they going to frown on this and try to convince me to take something else, like my 7mm or .300 Mag?

4. I assume horses are available for rent? I�ve always wanted to try elk hunting from horse back.

5. What do they charge to pack an animal out?

6. If you have hunted there before, talk about your hunt � how many in the party, what were the guides like, what animals did you or your group harvest and how long did it take, etc?

7. I may pick up an over-the-counter bull tag. Have you hunted the nearby national forest and what was that like?

8. Anything else you can think of that people hunting the ranch for the first time should be aware of?

Many thanks!

CH

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.