I don't know about all that, Mike.

Well, you'll have to make allowances for the fact that until age 13, other than my dad virtually every adult age 35 or over that I knew, encountered, was related to, or was taught by was a working class Brit of the WWII generation. And my dad had been in the middle of things on Okinawa with the 6th Marines.

In my own family we were at Gallipoli and Beersheba in the first go-round, and on Guadalcanal, Iwo Jima and Okinawa in the Second, plus my Grandad, whom I saw almost every day growing up, had been a fireman during the Blitz.

I dunno, best way I can explain it is we don't hold grudges I guess, Irish Catholics all and we don't even hate the Brits grin

...and to the best of my recollection, twenty to thirty years after the fact in England, The Desert Fox was still highly regarded by the British public as a worthy and principled opponent.

YMMV,
Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744