Originally Posted by willecoyote
Just wondering what kind of score a complete newby should expect their first time.
Thanks

As mentioned by battue, that is a tough question to answer. Depends on so many levels. I've real known good bird hunters walk away shaking their heads and completely disappointed with their performance, to a guy that has never shot a shotgun be absolutely excited with his performance.

If this game is something that you want to do on a regular basis keep your score as a starting point in your progression. If you only plan to shoot sporting clays once a year I would still keep a score just as a comparison for years to come. Or to have a good laugh with friends that you shoot with.

Sporting clays is one of the best games out there that involves a shotgun. The top game in my opinion; FITASC. Which is a much tougher game. Normally longer, faster, & much harder targets.

Here's some tips for you though:
1)Shells, (you will need 5 boxes 125 rounds) 12 gauge #8 shot 1oz or 1-1/8oz light target loads only for your first times out. Then if you want to play the different shell for different target presentation game, go for it. But I'm still a firm believer in keep it simple. Personally I almost never shoot more than a 1oz load.
2)Choke or chokes, Take the most open choke/chokes you have whether you shoot an autoloader or O/U and leave it in for every station. Skeet will kill most bird presentations. For an example my wife & I shoot a lot. I've seen her put in skeet and never remove it even for tough courses. She normally does very well.
3)Watch the targets, But not the whole target! You want to look at the leading edge (or Head) of the bird.
4)Premount shotgun or not, NOT! This isn't national skeet or trap. Premounting the gun for a beginner clays shooter normally means you are aiming and leads to a dead gun. Keep the butt of you gun out of your shoulder until you see the bird. Best is to have it just slightly lower than your normal mount, just a slight movement to to bring to full mount. Then move the barrel towards the target, mount, move through the target (to the leading edge), and fire. Takes a little coordination but it's much better than a dead gun.
5)And the MOST IMPORTANT tip; Know where your shotgun shoots!! Most sporting clays courses have a patterning board. Ask to use it. Stand 15 yards away and fire at a spot on the patterning board. Don't aim, just up and fire at it just like a flushing bird. Then look and pay note to where your shot pattern is hitting in relationship to the spot. Then adjust your barrel orientation so your shot pattern is covering your aiming spot.
6)Score saver: Most presentations are either true pair or report pair. If a true pair (both birds released at the same time)or report pair (second bird released after you fire at the first bird) stay on the first bird you shoot at and shoot again if you miss with the first shot. Think about it...your score is already 50% with the first miss on that pull. Transitioning to the other target means more movement and a higher degree of difficulty. Stay with the first bird and kill it with your second shot.

Foremost....Have FUN!