Originally Posted by bearstalker
...the pistol runs awesome with factory ammo with zero issues.

Half of my reloads suck however. Failure to feed and/or eject.

1. Take two factory rounds from a box of ammo that works flawlessly and measure them all over with your calipers (COL, diameter of the case at the mouth, diameter of the case in the middle, diameter of the case at the base, diameter of the headstamp). Write down what you get for both rounds. Put both rounds on a scale for no particular reason other than to rule out variables and anomalies.

2. Do similar measurements to 10 of your reloads. Look for consistency in your reloads. Look for reloads that are both different than the factory rounds AND different from the other reloads.

In the event you get some "oddball" reloads, set them aside and try shooting the rounds that most closely match the factory measurements and match the other reloads. See what you get. Then shoot the oddballs and see if they give you trouble.

If that solves your problem, great! If not, you've ruled out the most basic of the potential problems.

If you are still having problems, I'd like to hear some specifics regarding the malfunctions. When you say failure to feed, what are you getting? A round jamming at the base of the feed ramp? A round feeding high and pinning at the top of the chamber? What?

Same with the fail to ejects. Is the fired brass not leaving the chamber? Is it stovepiping? What?

By the way, in your firing tests, make sure you don't change your grip or technique. This is probably a non-issue for you since you say that factory ammo fires/functions well. However, there's no sense in introducing more variables into the soup if it can be avoided. Jamie, who responded above, was having some trouble with one of his .45's that nobody else could replicate when they shot the gun. It turned out that his bear paw sized hands occasionally put pressure on the magazine, causing malfunctions while shooting. My little squirrel paws had no chance of causing that type of problem. So, do everything the same when you shoot. Don't limp wrist, either!

Next, if it's still happening, since you've only shot one powder, I'd change powders. Load up some rounds that physically mirror the factory ammo specs and see what you get with the new powder.

Let us know what happens!

Good luck!

P.S. I would also suggest that you do all your firing with one, possibly two PROVEN magazines. Mags that are always perfect with the factory ammo.

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.