No it's fine. Since you had not mentioned it ,I assumed you were starting from scratch with an original factory bumper

With my 98 Ram 2500 Diesel,I'm pulling a 3 horse BP trailer , fully loaded is about 7500 lbs with about 750 pound tongue weight with a Class IV hitch and one of the Reese hitches rated for 800-1500TW because I also have a 1500 lb slide in pop up camper in the bed.

The class IV receiver hitch should have a sticker on it showing it is rated for 1000 lb TW and 10,00 lb trailer when using a weight distribution system (500 lb TW and 5000 lb trailer if not)

If your trailer is the weight you quoted, you don't even need the WD system,( saving $500) but you might need air bags depending on how much it squats. If you load the truck bed also, that is a different story as you add the weight that is aft of the axles in the bed of the truck when figuring out which WD system you need

If you get on the Etrailer website I showed, you can get a lot of good information about selection of the WD system and air bags. They also have a "Question for the Techs" that you can submit questions or even call them and they will help you out.

There is also a capability that you plug in you truck brand, model ,year, and it will spit out the exact part numbers you nee for any thing connected with trailers.

Last edited by saddlesore; 04/08/14.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles