Originally Posted by obewan
Originally Posted by Ron_T
Thanks for being so understanding, Scott...! grin

Your Sarbar deer are easily as large as our American elk... and the .375 Holland & Holland is a wonderful elk cartridge, so it seems that you've chosen a perfect caliber which should easily handle the largest Sanbar deer as well as the often even larger feral/wild water buffalo which I understand can weigh 1500 pounds or more.

That's a lot of muscle, bone & gristle to penetrate in order to get into the buffalo's vitals with a killing shot, but your .375 H&H should handle that chore with relative ease as well. I also understand those "buffs" can get a bit "difficult & cross" at times, too, eh? Yep... they can be a nasty bunch, that "mob" with a bad temper and horns up to 10 feet across!~!~!

I wish you and your cobbers good luck, good hunting & straight shooting, mate... ! smile

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

wink

Nice job on the Aussie slang there mate, well on your way to becoming an honorary Australian. ;-)

Yeah the Buffs can get nasty so I'm told, haven't had the pleasure of hunting one yet, I'm down the southern end of the continent and those fellas live up "The Top End".

One day......

Thanks for the congrats guys, the count down is on.... More pics when I get it home.

Cheers, Scott.

Being an "honorary Australian" would be a great honor, mate! grin

I learned that "Aussie slang" from a cobber (fellow "Yanks": "cobber" means a "mate" or "buddy") of mine during several years of lively "snail-mail" (letters) correspondence many years ago. Somehow, suddenly... Eric's letters stopped and we "lost touch". I've always wondered what happened to him.

I even attempted to telephone him (back in the days when foreign, long-distance calling was very EXPEN$IVE), but never got any further than a local phone operator in his town. I dunno why they couldn't make a phone connection, but it never happened and his letters stopped as well. Apparently, he didn't have a telephone.

I always wondered if he had a fatal accident or illness, but both of us were only in our 30's back then and very healthy... which was 40+ years ago.

He seemed to be a sort of a "rough-and-tumble" kinda guy and gave me the impression that being so was fairly common with a lotta Aussie lads who were "that way"... much like the tough and hard-living men of the USA in the mid-to-late 1800s.

In any event, he caused me to have a great deal of honest respect for the Aussie fellas... and your beautiful "sheila's" ("lovely ladies" to you Yanks who don't know the "Aussie slang") as well!~!~!

I've always very much regretted losing contact with my cobber down there in "Aussieland", we were both very active hunters back then and shared a good many hunting tales in our letters.

Now... almost 50 years later, I still think of Eric in my "quiet times" when I sit by the fire in our family-room's fireplace and stare into the flames... frown

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...