E, agree that's a logical way to go about it. Start low-lift, limited investment.

However, as I understand it/researched on the cherokee specifically:
1. any short-arm kit will degrade road ride. This is also my kayak and canoe hauler, sometimes a good distance, so no thanks.
2. my np242 transfer case invariably benefits from the same slip yoke mod at a few inches lift as it does higher (same investment)
3. the whole project at 2-3in lift would yield, what, 1" more clearance / barely justify re-gearing, so stuck with sluggish drive and similarly decr. mpg anyway / poorer ride quality (compared to long-arm or drop brackets).

Which is what pushes me to go modest lift designed to ride and perform well, solid quality parts, cut-no-corners and be done with it in 1 or 2 phases. I just add up the estimates and say, hm, is this an expensively naive idea rife with hassles, or is the end result pretty sound with some extra routine maintenance and inspection?

Of course, I quoted out some new wranglers and sports with comparable mods and the sticker made me go pale, so at least from that angle my cherokee idea is still a bargain - if it runs reliably.

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.