Ruffcutt: "Right on top of" is not a very specific measurement - it is ambiguous and subjective.
Let me relay to you some "objective" first hand experiences of mine.
I have killed quite a number of Rattlesnakes with 22 L.R birdshot and 22 Magnum bird shot.
I have used S&W Model 34's (both 2" and 4"), S&W Model 63's (both 2" and 4") and my 4" barreled S&W Model 651 (22 Magnum) to kill Rattlers.
Ranges have been (as I recall and estimate) from 4' to 10'.
Not a one of the Rattlesnakes I chose to shoot lived to tell about the encounter.
Additionally, assess this, I have seen maybe 10 - 12 of my friends try to engage Rattlesnakes with the pistols firing single slug ammo.
Many of those occassion saw the shooters reloading said pistols with a wounded snake slithering and/or coiling about - I do NOT recall any of those first hand observations ending with a dead snake after one shot!
If I may be crude - when I decide to kill a Rattlesnake (because it is close to civilization or a house where children may be present) then I shoot it in the head with birdshot and then shoot it in the head again immediately.
Then if more rounds are needed to ended these dangerous creatures lives they are administered.
I would much rather carry my rimfire pistols loaded with birdshot whilst in Rattlesnake country.
If I am 15 or 20 feet away from a Rattlesnake I would not be shooting at it with birdshot.
But at normal encounter distances (right on top of?) the birdshot works just fine for me.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy