Have you had the action "trued" already, if so, what was supposedly done? I spent $600+ a barrel with Greg Tannel on one action just because I wanted to see what this was all about. He does nice work but my rifle went from shooting 1.5" groups @ 100 yards to shooting 1 1/8" groups. To me, this was NOT worth it. I sent it back to him and he said that the Hart barrel was bad and would replace it with a Krieger. (no charge). I got the rifle back and [it was a Rem mt. rifle contour] had a new SS barrel. I was told Krieger wouldn't do SS barrels that thin so who knows. The rifle then shot about 1". I decided to leave it alone and went and killed a bunch of stuff with it.

If I had to do it over again, I wouldn't waste the money "truing" a 700 on a standard hunting rifle. I believe for that money he recut the face of the receiver, recut the action threads, faced the bolt, recut the lugs and in my case, he bushed the firing pin and had me 300 below zero cryo treat it.

A custom action may or may not shoot any better but has better resale value that anything you can do to a 700.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.