Based on how good my Alpen Wings 8X20 compact binoculars are I ordered some Alpen Teton 10X50 for what I expect might be low light hunting in Alaska this September. I chose the 10X50 over the 10X42 for two reasons. First I figured if a little is good a lot is better so I went with the larger objective. Second, despite it being on a tri-pod most of the time, its heavier weight will help steady it. I have compared my Swarovski z5 5-25X52 to lots of scopes and the only ones to come close to it are both Nightforces. The 12-42X56 was slightly better than the 5.5-22X56 which was slightly better than my z5. But both of the Nightforces are way too heavy for this old man: Thus the beautiful Swarovski z5. With that said, I will give a little info since that's all there is.

I was at John's where my "Can you read this?" is only 72 yards away inthe shadows of the forest, but it's all I have. The sky at 7PM was totally overcast so it was like the sun had already gone behind the distant hill. After focusing the Teton 10X50 as well as I could I did the same with the z5. Then I looked at the magnifiction setting on the z5: 14X. I waited a few more minutes and checked again. By then the sun was behind the distant hill. I could still read the bottom line with the Teton but had to adjust the z5 to 17X. A couple minutes later the test was over because the 10X50's could no longer show me the bottom line.

Tomorrow I will take them to Sportsman to compare with their stuff.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter