Yes, both methods have their pluses. Combined gives you the best total information.
What I really wish for is something where I could spin them, then push a lever and bend stuff straight THE FIRST TIME.

I think you can get away with reading off the case body IF the underlying brass is good -- but that's probably not the situation if the case body blows out sideways on initial fire-form pressure rise.
Anyone is miles ahead if his or her brass is sound to begin with. Brass that was pounded off center in the factory is never going to be match-winning, PD zappin' nirvana.
Another trick is to roll new brass on a level glass or iron surface and see if it stops in the same place three times in a row. Tried that once and yep, the stoppers always formed "off."
Now I check new bags, and if it fails, it becomes SHINY BEAUTIFUL GUN SHOW FACTORY NEW UNFIRED BRASS. No point in wasting components, right?
That said, a tight chamber moderates the blowout problem to a significant extent, the brass simply doesn't get a chance to jump around (and I assume make evil vibrations).

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.