I previously indicated very bad results from my first attempt at 40gr HP Bergers and some Lil Gun. MOA's of 4 to 5 inches were the norm. Prvi factory ammo was much better but averaged 2540fps. I also tried three primers which seemed to be pointless at the time.

I read what Mule Deer wrote here about 40gr plastic tipped bullets and 13gr. Lil Gun even though the "book" listed 11 grs. as max. I was fortunate to find some 40 gr. Hornady V Max bullets and picked up a box. Their COAL measured 1.917".
So I loaded up 13gr. Lil Gun and the V Max bullets set at 1.900" COAL.
I loaded 15 rounds of each with three different primers - as everyone says they may
make a big difference. I loaded CCI 400, Rem. 7.5 and Fed 205.

It was a pleasure to have this rifle finally deliver very acceptable groups at 100 yards. The first two groups (left to right) went 7/8" and the last, 3/4" (Fed 205).
The velocity with the CCI's was 3000fps, Rem 7.5 was 3092fps and 3040fps for the Fed 205's.

While I am not done with load development, today made a huge improvement of which I attribute to the plastic tipped, longer bullets. I also should say I remember Mule Der talking about checking for any wood contact on the front end of the action. I took the forearm off and found some shiny spots on both sides that were sanded down and re-checked.

So thanks for all the 22 Hornet talk here and thanks to mule Deer for his advice.
It really worked out better than I expected. I apologize for the photo size - I'm still new with the iMac.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by bigwhoop; 04/18/14.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.