Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
Just suppose you had to compete with a pistol that met these requirements, what would it be?

Double stack
Minimum 5# trigger pull (DAO)
Completely factory-No internal or external mods

What would it be for fast accurate shooting, at a max distance of 25 yards?

a DAO rig in a "competition event" will make for some tougher sledding, but with concerted efforts, you could definitely play ball...

i've always felt that one of the sterling virtues of the dao rig is the absolute simplicity of the manual of arms with respect to the specific realm of lesser experienced ccw chaps--though occasionally, some experienced pistoleros utilize them too.

regarding shooting competitively, you can't go wrong with the da/sa system in the sig or usp platforms--in years past, i've used both in some matches, and have won some events using both of these rigs.

if the "da/sa issue" of the first shot being da as you then roll into sa "messes with your head", this can be easily overcome--always shoot sa in competition. on your draw and presentation, as the pistol comes into your support hand, the thumb of the support hand instantly and deftly cocks the hammer--just like in the two-handed usage of the colt single action army revolver--very efficient, and away you go with a consistent pull.

in my experience, there is more muzzle rise in the usp than in the sig, but i've also shot some of my highest scores with the usp--a stellar platform, and i especially like it in .45 acp.

one virtue of the usp is the ability to swing into different variants. if i recall, the variants 5 and 6--if you desire the control lever, or the variant 7--if sans a lever-- will fulfill your criteria of dao (though i personally prefer the variant 3--or 4, if a lefty--in conjunction with thumb cocking, equals great medicine).

all learning is like a funnel:
however, contrary to popular thought, one begins with the the narrow end.
the more you progress, the more it expands into greater discovery--and the less of an audience you will have...