Safariman: Good for you on your Rifles "maintaining their zero" from year to year.
I always make notes in my handloading log on whether a Rifle maintains zero from year to year.
As I get older I rely less on memory and more on notations.
I have had several Varminters out this month so far myself.
One Rifle that surprised me and did loose "zero" was my "new" Kimber SVT in 17 Mach2.
The "zero" from last year drifted nearly 1 1/2" (at 100 yards) from its initial sight-in "zero" last March (2,013).
Anyway I have noted this drift in my loading log pages dedicated to this Rifle.
I was surprised because this heavy barrel Rifle appears to be bedded nicely and the barrel free floated in its handsome and very heavy laminated stock?
The Rifle has a Leupold 6.5x20 EFR scope on it with exposed target knobs and IIRC the last Hunt I had it on (August 2,013) I had along an out of state long time friend and hunting buddy who LOVES to play practical jokes on me!
I would not put it past this 65 year old juvenile delinquent to have "tweeked" my scope when I was not looking!!!
Anyway if the "drifting" happens again by next sight-in verification time I will have to do some trouble-shooting.
Speaking of Browning 22 lever guns I hosted two friends from out of state who came out to buy two Jeep S.U.V.'s for cheap (and NO sales tax) hereabouts.
While they were here one of my friends bought a used but minty BLR in 22 L.R. and we set about to test fire and sight check the cool little Rifle (I believe it was a carbine style - or shorter of the two offered models of BLR?).
Anyway they were here just before Christmas and the highs of the days were in the 20 below zero range!
So how do two "pussies" from the warm coast sight in their Rifle without getting cold - they just got all their gear and targets ready at my house and we jumped in one of the brand new Jeeps that was equipped with window sand bags and headed for the range. In this case the range was a large gravel pit with 100'+ high walls (no wind).
The pansies didn't even have to get out of the heated Jeep they just put the target up out the window and then backed up and shot from inside the rig!
I even shot the cool little lever gun a few times.
Rifle worked great and the shakedown shoot was completed before they drove back to the coast.
I also use a coating of Break-Free to protect or coat my bores when they are going into storage.
I like it.
Have a good spring/summer season.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy