Originally Posted by Ron_T
I've never reloaded either the 165 grain or the 180 grain bullets for my .300 Savage since I only hunted deer with my Model 99 (EG).

However, if I were going for black bear, I'd use the 165 grain Nosler Partition Bullet since they seem to be the best-of-both-worlds velocity-wise for the 180 grainers & greater bullet weight for greater penetration using the 165 grain bullets rather than the 150 grainers. smile

To me, the 180 grain bullets, which extend down into the .300 cartridge's powder chamber a bit too far, tend to limit the amount of powder that can be used in the kinda "smallish" .300 Savage cartridge case.

Then, too... in general, the heavier-for-caliber-bullets tend to have thicker jackets and tend to not expand as quickly or as much as the lighter-weight bullets because they are designed for greater penetration than the lighter-weight bullets.

For elk or larger... or for dangerous game (Brown Bear or Polar Bear), I'd prefer to use my custom pre-'64 Model 70 with the 26-inch barrel in .338 Win. Magnum with hand-loaded 225 or 250 grain Nosler Partitions which has proven deadly on large Canadian moose for me.

Of course, the .300 Savage cartridge is capable of taking elk or even moose, but the hunter should limit the range to the game animal and use heavier bullets moreso than with deer.

Jus' my 2� worth... grin

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

Pretty much the same conclusions at which I've arrived. When I hunted elk, I used a .338 Win Mag with Nosler Partitions, mostly 250s.

I just built a .300 Savage on a Model 70 stainless short action and I'm anxious to see what it will do to deer.

Keep your gun-hand ready and your eyes peeled.