Originally Posted by GunGeek
Originally Posted by DW12
TRH,

You got me checking the PTR web page, would you know who makes the barrels they use?
Also I see they offer a 'HK profile' and a heavier 'bull' barrel, I don't think it would really make much difference accuracy wise...am I wrong?

Thanks
When they first set up, I know they were buying barrels from Thompson/Center, the makers of the Contender.

My only complaint with the PTR's is how shallow the chamber fluting is; it's almost non-existent. Now I don't know, but I would be concerned if the rifle got REALLY dirty, it would start to pull case rims off. Again, this is wonder and speculation on my part; I don't know. I just know that the H&K 93 I've had, and the Sig STGw 57 I had both had very deep and pronounced chamber fluting that would all but trash the brass.

Just don't know.

The rival to the Garand rifle was a rifle designed by Pedersen. Look up the 276 Pedersen cartridge sometime. The Pedersen rifle required waxed cartridges for reliable extraction. The Germans solved the extraction issues by having a fluted chamber in their rifle. Simple and elegant...