I keep reading on here about how great the fixed Leupold 6 power scopes are. People talk about how reliable they are and how easy they are to get behind.

I was just looking online and it looks like $300 for a fxii, then I'm guessing $100 to send it in and get knobs.
While looking I saw a fixed 8 power with the knobs already installed and an AO for $380. So a little less money and in stock.

My questions are does the fixed 8 still have the same great reputation as the fixed 6? Is is as tough and is the eye box as good? There is only about 3.5 feet less on the FOV, so if the fixed 6 is a good hunting scope, the 8 power would still be a good choice, right? (I like the idea of a little more magnification for targets since I have bad eyes.) Does the AO make the 8 power less durable?

I don't like the idea of tall knobs on a hunting rifle, but I don't like exposed turrets even more. Since I do a lot more target shooting I thought it might be a fair trade off.

Just to think, I used to be very happy with my old-style Mark ARs. They are working great, but I keep reading here how Leupold variables are going to fail sooner or later, so I'm nervous. (Okay, mainly just bored and am looking at a new scope!)

Thanks

Last edited by IDMilton; 04/23/14. Reason: fix FOV statement

The never-ending flight
Of future days.
Paradise Lost. Book ii. Line 221