Originally Posted by GunGeek
Originally Posted by kenjs1
I believed grease what slides- plain lithium grease and oil what pivots- Ballistol more often than not. Always wrks fine so, like with too many reload recipes, I figured- Hey its perfect, why not tinker with it!!!
For pistols it's oil for both. For rifles, a very small amount of grease on the bolt locking lugs can be a good thing as long as you remember to clean the locking area inside the receiver periodically.

Grease is good for Garand, M14, M1 Carbine, and Mini 14 slides where the bolt lug head goes into the slide. Otherwise, it's oil most everywhere else.

For firearms, we want oil because oil will carry the debris out of the action, rather than hold it into the action like grease does.

I guess that is kind of what is motivating my change. I never had any problems with grease but after last clean and lube just sort of thought it felt too thick on the slides. I visited Gun Butters site and they must agree. They go to pains to say to use oil , not grease on slides- even though some testimonials swear by the grease for it. Hoping my order arrives tomorrow. Always look forward to testing or trying something new- as I sy, even if what I have been doing hasd been working.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius