Originally Posted by setch
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
I think you're going to have trouble finding another used M97 in .41 mag. There's a few used ones on GB in .45 Colt, but I didn't see any .41's, when I looked. .454 M83's are easy to find used, as people often find the recoil too stiff.

I agree. I did a GB search of closed auctions and didn't see a one for a M97 in 41. I have been watching the 83s for a 44mag, but they are scarce as well. I don't think I'm interested in a 454 despite the fact that they seem to be most plentiful.

My thinking on heavy caliber revolvers has evolved over the years. In years past I loaded magnum revos quite hot - now I am content to see 1250-1300 fps - if we are talking about heavy, big flat nosed, non-expanding bullets. A 355 hard cast, launched out of a .480 Ruger, will shoot through an old tree a foot in diameter, let alone animals. Pushing them to 1600 fps doesn't seem to buy so much.

Now, making bigger holes is appealing - hence the .480 Ruger. If I was going to spend the coin for a M83, I'd think hard about the .500 Wyoming.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."