Originally Posted by dhg
1950's vintage commercial 98 actions - if you can find them at a reasonable price. I have picked up a couple for less than $500, but it has taken me a lot of time to find them, hence they may not be the best option for the average loony who is going to build a rifle or two a year. I understand why the M700 and clones would appeal to many.

Ultimately, they are inherently a little more reliable and can readily be made into easy sub-MOA rifles. Some of the actions being suggested here are probably inherently a little more accurate, but we are talking a fraction of an inch even beyond 500 yards - which for me just is an irrelevancy. They are also a touch heavier, but again we are only talking an ounce or two.

Personally, I am not a fan of the M70-style safety, as I find it more difficult and slower to operate (I have an arthritic right thumb).

Neither am I. I think it is highly overrated. Does it work and work well? Mostly. I think it is awkward to manipulate and noisy. I do, however, like the mod 70 trigger and think it is highly underrated. I have several mod 70s and love them but prefer a different safety.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.