Originally Posted by utah708

i will re-crown it however you want it. if i would have thought there would be this big of a problem i would have just put a crappy round factory crown back on it. on $400 barrels i charge $300 to dial in the barrels within .0005 or less when chambering and crowning, on a Mauser it's usually not an issue that barrel OD is so far out of concentricity to the bore i was not going to switch to a 4. jaw and spend an hour checking the 4-jaw and setting up and dialing in the barrel. send it back and i will set up the lathe and dial it in within .0005 i own more mausers that i will admit to and don't get too worried about them and most shoot in the .250 or less range. if i set up to the bore the OD will look out or if i set up the the ID the OD will look out your choice or i just put a factory round crown on it and let it run wild which is what they did. your choice.

$300 to set up a barrel - I am in the WRONG business!! I am a truck driver that runs heavy equipment in the summer. I dabble with a lathe and have about 100 hours leaning over one. It takes me about 30 minutes to dial a barrel in. $300 for a half hours work - where do I sign up!!
Mauser accuracy of good enough, doesn't work. You set everything as accurate as possible in order to make up for a possible "rut-roh" down the road.
My lathe may be smaller than his but I can count the number of times that I used my 3 jaw on my hands. The 4 jaw is always on the lathe. If it took me a long time to change from a 3 jaw to a 4 jaw I would buy another lathe and leave one set up with each type.
I do the best I can with the knowledge and skill I have, always looking to improve. I do not build "bench" guns because of this. I only work on my toys and build hunting/sporting rifles. Rifles that require more accuracy get sent to somebody competent. A man has to know his limitations!!

Do not send it back to have it "fixed" - it will only come back worse!!

Some is Good---More is Better----Too Much is Just Right