Jus' about every rifleman has a "dream-rifle"... a rifle he really WANTS more than anything!

I had such a "craving" for a Ruger #1 International (AKA "RSI") in 7x57mm for the greater part of my adult life, but could never bring myself to spend the money to get one. I truly admired it's Mannlicher-style stock and short dimensions (only a 20-inch barrel)... a "very-handy-woods-rifle", I thought to myself and anyone else who would listen to me. It was just the "coolest" thing I ever saw in a rifle!!! YEAHHHH!!! smile

Well... "it" finally happened, a fella was selling his RSI in 7x57mm in order to get enough cash to buy a rare Colt "Peacemaker" from a collection another fella was breaking up... and the ONLY way this guy could afford the Colt was to sell his RSI through which he had shot less than a full box (20 rounds) of cartridges. He needed another $800 on top of what he already had in order to buy the Colt. So he put his RSI and it's bright, very nice, new-looking aluminum rifle case up for sale for that "$800"!

Fortunately, once he decided to sell his RSI, I was the first fella he mentioned it to... me being a total stranger... a very "lucky" total stranger.

The rifle was in "like new" condition... not a mark or a scratch on it... the "perfect" rifle... and I just COULDN'T (and "didn't") pass-it-up!~!~! grin That was 5 or 6 years ago... and I've never been sorry I bought it. It's a "pretty" little rifle with nicely-figured walnut wood and no "dings".

The only "bad" part is... I already had a dedicated deer rifle... a 1953, very traditional Savage Model 99 (EG) in .300 Savage caliber in pristine condition that is (in my mind, at least) THE perfect eastern deer rifle and I can't make myself leave it at home in order to take the RSI on my annual trek to deer camp at my bestest hunting buddy's cozy cabin up on the High Plateau among the mountain laurel in the Moshannon State Forest in north-central Pennsylvania.

SHUCKY-DARN !~!~!

But I'm really gonna try to take my single-shot RSI on a deer hunt one-of-these-days... maybe... possibly... perhaps... we'll see. grin

Meanwhile, I figured out that a man doesn'really HAVE to have a reason to own a single-shot rifle other than "jus'
because he jus' WANTS TO !~!~!"
... and you can take THAT to the bank!!! crazy

Jus' my 2� worth... smile

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...