Running a pack string, a good mare is sure helpful in leading mules, but a good mule will work as well. The problem arises when you want to make the mule go somewhere it deems unsafe. With a horse, you can force them, not so with a mule. This is why most packers lead with a horse.

Run your saddle mules with horses, particularly mares out in open pasture or all penned together and you quickly get mules buddy soured to that mare. That is a hard problem to cure. Most fixes are only temporary until you turn the mule back out with the herd.

I got rid of the few horses I had about 12 years ago and have only had mules since then. Everything is a lot quieter and more pleasurable now.

I did just trade off a molly though. Last spring I had to put down a little mule I had that was 30 years old. This molly had been with that mule all her 12 years and when she lost her buddy her disposition changed dramatically. I didn't mind her being attached to that little mule because 99% of the time, he was along as a pack animal. For the first 4 months, she moped around, really acted depressed. Then she would attach herself to any horse or mule that was near. I could ride her out by herself and she was fine, but if we passed another horse or mule, she would act out and it was darn near impossible to get her to leave it. She is in a pack string now with an outfitter in a herd environment and I think she will do fine. Darn shame because she was a good saddle mule before she changed.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles