The Army preferred this load-bullet- and worked with Black Hills with several hundred thousand rounds expended by Black Hills to perfect it for what the Army wanted, a bullet that did not just zip right through and not open up. Black Hills balked at first at the crimping, at the "open tip" and other changes to their usual and customary way of producing ammunition.

That is what was happening with the M 855 steel penetrators in 5.56 on Iraqis and Afghan combatants. Doctors said it was like a 5.56 mm thick needle literally "needled through" without causing any life threatening damage to the enemy unless hit in specific areas. That left a whole lot of combatant tissue to be shot up and allow the combatant to continue the fight.

The troops grabbed this at every opportunity and used it to effect out to 600 yards and it opened up which is exactly what they wanted it to do. I understand tumbling had nothing to do with it's effectiveness-just straight on and impact and expand.

The Marines had their own version of it.

I have the research on it around here somewhere if anyone is interested in more details but I believe it acts about like your standard Speer, Hornady, Sierra, etc. cup and core lead bullets for deer.

Last edited by slasher; 06/07/14.