Just saw a comment in another thread about "draws" for tags and some state having a hunting week instead of a season. Just curious about the norms in different areas of the country.

Here in MS we are over-populated with whitetails. Our early Primitive weapon season starts about mid Nov and between primitive and regular rifle seasons, runs through the end of January. Primitive weapons include 35 Whelen in a single shot, break open rifle. I keep hearing the primitive requirements are going to be dropped altogether this season on private land.

That gives us about 10 weeks of rifle hunting. Bow hunting adds approx another month I think. I'm not much of a bow hunter.

There are overall game limits for deer taken throughout the season, but they are virtually ignored as there is no way for the G&F agencies to keep track. We are not required to tag the animals we harvest. Even with these lax rules, we still have over-population.

So what are the seasons and regs in other areas of the country? I figure us hunters in the south are more fortunate than most.

Those who must raise their voice to get their point across are generally not intelligent enough to do so in any other way.