I think we are under the assumption that penetration is the sole determining factor in humane harvest. Certainly this test was to see what bullet could penetrate after hitting what appears to be a bovine stifle (it is similar anatomically to the human knee) at five meters. Hitting an animal in other areas of its body may have benefits in bullet frangibility. In other words the ability of a bullet to shed or transfer its energy into the animal instead of passing through and expending it into the dirt or some place out side of the animal. Also dispersal of bullet material into highly vascular tissue may enhance hemorrhage.
However hydro static shock is perhaps best expressed with complete penetration (Much as a sabot round going through the tank turret, will suck out the crewman through the exit hole). Another consideration is the toxic principle of the lead fragments left behind in tissue by the more frangible bullet.
I am a huge fan of Barnes XLC's on Elk but I have had concerns about shots on whitetails in thick woods where the bullet passed through at such an angle where not much energy was left in the animal and not much blood was left on the ground to track it. Excellent post! Many thanks for sharing!

Last edited by Angus1895; 06/15/14.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills