Interesting thread. I've only driven to 2 cow elk. The rest have come out in pieces on a sled. Even on dry ground the sled makes a difference. And once can always wait till morning and frost.

I have a 9000# winch that mounts to receiver front or back of truck. I carry rope and 3/8 cable for getting unstuck (most often getting others unstuck!) And a ton of 1/8 inch cable. I see a spool of pulling tape in my future. I got a cow moose out whole - solo - by tying everything I had together - including 3 of my 4 tire chains! - and winching it to the truck. I dragged it behind the truck to a flat spot, and then loaded it. I have always wanted a bed mounted winch, but don't want to give up the space. My solution: I opened the window on the back of the truck, and the sliding window on my topper. Open windows in truck. Insert 4X4 across windows. Hook short strap to 4 X4, then to winch. 2 -2X10s for a loading ramp, and hand winch the moose up the ramp into the truck using a one of the cheap fence stretcher winches.