There are two types of turkey hunting you can do with a dog.

The traditional way is that during the fall turkeys flock up and the only ways to hunt them is either ambush them or break up the flock in order to call them back in. A dog helps with scattering the flock by charging the birds there by scattering them. Then the hunter gets the dog to be still and generally covered by some camouflage the hunter will call back the birds. After having hunted waterfowl with GSPs and the inability of my dog a Vizla mix to sit still for long. I doubt a pointing breed would make a good at this method of hunting.

The second method is rarely practiced for whatever reason but it is better suited to the midwest. It goes like this, a hunter will spot a flock of turkeys in a field then he and his dog (pointer or flusher) will creep towards the flock. The dog then charges and scatters the flock. Then depending on the landscape the hunter might be positioned at a tree line and shoot the turkeys as they go to the trees to escape. Conversely if the turkey head to grass or such for escape cover they behave like can be hunted just like 20lb bobwhite quail.

I have personally have not hunted fall turkey with or with out a dog though I think I might try this fall.