Originally Posted by SansSouci
The 7MM-08 Rem is very closely related to the 7MM Mauser. And how many elk have been invited to dinner by the 7MM Mauser?

The 7MM-08 Rem is an excellent rifle for everything except maybe the largest bears. But then again, with 175 Partitions, it'll probably get the job done there, too.

I always harken back to my formative years of reading stories about our Northern brethren who were once part of the empire upon which the sun never set. After the Great War, surplus .303 British rifles were as common there as were Springfields south of them. Canadians killed EVERYTHING with the .303 British including polar bears. In full disclosure, polar bears were a lot easier to kill back them because they didn't have access to steroids. The reason I remember stories of the .303 British is because a very close friend of mine somehow got a hold of an old Enfield .303 British. I remember his rhetorical wondering how many Germans that that rifle killed. Anyway, when I shot it I wasn't that impressed. Being just a teenager, I wondered how our Northern Brethren managed to kill anything with it. As I grew somewhat wiser, it dawned on me that it was all about shot placement. Big game don't know difference of cartridges. But they do know when their hearts and lungs quit working.

Holy crap! the elk forum has be invaded by Lee24 and goo-fo... which is short for googled information.

Kent