I've been reading the amusing thread in the Gun writers section on Don Heath's article about rifle power and was reminded of a question about something he wrote in "Rifle Lessons Learned from the Zimbabwe Professional Hunter Proficiency Exam". I first found the article about a year or so ago when I was looking for a 375 H&H.

I'm not sure where this was originally pulblished but here is the version that generated my question.

http://www.africahunting.com/thread...ofessional-hunter-proficiency-exam.2604/

In the article, Don suggests an efficient and quick safety set up for a right handed shooter would be for the safety catch to be on the left side of the bolt or receiver. I have a new to me early Sako built on a FN action. It has a "flag" style safety on the left side of the bolt that will work if a scope is mounted. The safety arrangement does seem to have some merit. It's a little stiff (needs a good going over and cleaning) but my thumb doesn't have any trouble finding it. Unfortunately, this is my only experience with this set up on a hunting rifle.

If you have a picture of right handed rifles with left sided safeties please post them and let me know about your hunting experience with the set up.

Thanks,

Scott