Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
Compared to guns I would say bows suck as far as retaining value goes. The used bow market is a gem for guys looking to save some money and buy a year or two old bow.

If I were you I would tap out both sides of each limb to insure the limbs are not delaminated.

The new tech is much different than what you were probably used to, I was out for over ten years as well.

Easiest tell on an older Mathews is the area around the grip. Bows with high usage tend to show white through the camo finish. It's usally on the high edges of the metal around the grp, and spreads as the grip area wears. High use bows will be almost white.

Also, keep in mind that the Outback has been ot of production for at least seven years (2004-07 production) by Mathews. So, you are probably going to have to hunt the ued parts market if you have an issue. Not saying you have to buy new, but I'd buy "newer". The bow is probably valued at $150-200, the WB is about $30, the quiver is about $30-50, so it needs to be a damn good sight to make the $350 mark. JMHO

I don't know if you have tried the bow for draw length, but if it doesn't fit, it's going to be a search for a new cam in the correct draw, these models change the whole lower unit instead of a simple module.

The other limb killer is heat, leaving bows in the case in the truck in the summer will cause limb de-lam issues as well. Watch out for a used bow that has been stored in the truck instead of the house. Watch out for Bubba and his rolling archery supply store...

Creek is right, used-bow value dives after one year, and I'd argue 50% of value at best if it's over two years old, and 20-25% at the five year mark.

OBTW, you going to need arrows for the bow, don't trust any hand-me-downs with the bow, which will add another $120-150 on top of the bow for a dozen good quality properly spined arrows.

I'm not bashing your buddy, I've had friends with shops that took care of me as well, but at the end of the day, they are in business to make money. I personally think for the $500 minumum you are going to invest to get the package right, you could do better with newer bows for similiar or close-to the price point.

Last edited by AH64guy; 07/14/14.