Mule Deer: Yeah... HOW do you count Wolverines???
I was staying a night in a motel (showering) in Buffalo, Wyoming some years ago.
I was on a spring Varmint Safari and had 12 Varmint Rifles along.
One of the fellows in the room next door saw me unloading my Rifles and struck up a conversation with me.
Turns out he was a Wyoming Game Warden biologist and he and his pilot were staying there for several days while working.
Turns out they were flying the nearby Bighorn Mountains searching for the distinctive "tracks" of Wolverines in the snow fields of those mountains!
Apparently they do this every couple of years or so and they "compare" notes over time for population trends.
I had seen their plane flying back and forth in the mountains as I had been Hunting in the high country for Rock Chucks thereabouts over the previous two days.
I do remember asking him "how many Wolverines are in Wyoming" and he avoided answering directly but said the population "was stable".
A local lady professional photographer here in Dillon got three pictures of a Wolverine this early spring on the road from Silver Star, Montana over the pass (Pipestone?) to Butte and she relayed to me the Wolverine was just a couple miles west of the last homes on the east slope of that range/pass of the Rockies.
Anyway I hate to see western Hunters and trappers loose ANY opportunities - the "anti's" and the "greenies" just keep chippin away at us!
I especially hate to see lost opportunities for PC type motivations (not based on sound biological reasoning).
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy