I have always had a desire for a Ruger Carbine .44 mag. Not a strong desire, because I have not even done much research, but just a thought in the back of my mind that they would be really neat.

My local gun shop has one that looks pretty old. The serial number is 5 digit, starting with 68. The rifle has an old wide angle weaver that has probably been on there its whole life. The gun shop has a tag of $611 on it, which seems a bit high.

I have two questions, first of all, what is a rifle like this worth? It had normal wear and tear for an old rifle. I did not have a chance to look at the bore, etc.

Second of all, what are the main uses for a rifle like this. When I think about the price of a box of 50 .44 mag rounds, its pricey to plink with. Seems it would be a good camp gun, a decent defense option (a shotgun is better for both of these items) and a short range deer gun. It could be fun to just let ride in the gun racks of a 4 wheeler or pick up when on small adventures. What does the campfire crew use them for?

Last edited by Oakster; 07/17/14.